The Baylor Department of Theatre Arts makes its home in the Bill Cook and Pat Cook Annex to the Hooper-Schaefer Fine Arts Center.
This state-of-the-art facility houses three working theatre spaces:
- the Jones Theatre, a 356-seat proscenium
- the Mabee Theatre, a 246-seat thrust
- and Theatre 11, a multi-form space with movable seating and masking and an extensive lighting/sound grid.
In addition to theatres, Hooper-Schaefer is home to a dance studio, faculty offices, fully equipped costume and scenic shops, a design/computer lab, a technology-ready classroom, green room, dressing and makeup rooms, and a box office. The Baylor Art department is housed in a separate wing of Hooper-Schaefer and works cooperatively with the Baylor Theatre by opening their adjacent galleries for viewing during theatre productions.
For additional specifications contact Adam Redmer.
By submitting a facilities request form, you verify acceptance of the terms on this page and responsibility for the charges incurred.
The Department of Theatre Arts hosts several university-sponsored events such as lectures and meetings during the year. You may reserve a space in our building for your activity when spaces are available and when they are appropriate for the event (click each to see a ground plan). The spaces located in the Hooper-Schaefer Fine Arts Building are:
- Jones Theatre (350 Maximum Capacity)
- Mabee Theatre (250 Maximum Capacity)
- Theatre 11 (90 Maximum Capacity)
Each year we receive numerous requests to use our facilities. While we try to accommodate as many as possible, we cannot approve all requests. To ensure full consideration, please allow thirty days for our response.
Spaces are reserved using the following policies:
- Only university-sponsored events will be held in the theatres;
- Only theatre faculty, staff, and students are allowed to run theatre equipment;
- Theatre personnel must be present at all events; therefore, a consideration of their availability is a factor in determining approval of a request;
- One-day or partial-day events are given preference to multi-day events;
- Multi-day events are limited to three days.
- A general use fee is charged for each space reserved. Additional fees may apply. Fees subject to change without notice.
- $200/day for a standard lecture/meeting setup, includes lectern, chairs, standard lighting in front of the main drapery.
- $600/day minimum for a basic production setup, includes lighting for a full stage general wash, and sound support.
- $100/day for a standard classroom.
- Dance Studio:
- Dance floor restrictions: NO furniture, food, or drinks; dance shoes only.
- For any event requiring labor to run lighting and sound for the event or to accommodate other special technical needs, charges will apply.
- For any event held after regular business hours, the requesting department is responsible for payment for a minimum of one (1) staff member to be on hand to supervise and assist the event. A supplemental request form MUST be submitted a minimum of two weeks before the event.
- Students working the event will be paid by the department requesting the event. All work-study requests MUST be submitted a minimum of two weeks before the event.
- If the event requires extraordinary labor expenses to clean the space before and after the event, you will be charged an additional hourly rate equal to the current housekeeping labor scale charged to departments.
The department requesting the event will be billed via the Departmental Adjustment Form after the event. Please contact Renee Cluke for additional information about billing.
- The Department of Theatre Arts is unable to provide tables and has a very limited number of chairs available. Please contact the Physical Plant for these items.
- The department making the reservation request must meet with a representative of the Department of Theatre Arts a minimum of two weeks before the event to complete any paperwork and confirm technical/staff needs.
- Please contact Risk Management at 710-4586 to provide a certificate of insurance.
For additional information or questions, please contact:
Department of Theatre Arts
One Bear Place #97262
Waco, TX 76798